Discover Your Island

Frequently Asked Questions

According to university records, the number of student credit hours you have attempted throughout your academic career has reached the level of excessive undergraduate hours, as defined by the Texas Education Code for the Excessive Hours, Sec. 54.014., Tuition for Repeated or Excessive Undergraduate hours.

We urge you to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor immediately to discuss your excessive hours status and review your plan for degree completion and graduation. Our goal is to help all students complete their degrees in a timely fashion. 

Yes, you can still enroll in courses. Please note, however, that you will be charged more for those courses you enroll in after you have exceeded the upper limit of program hours allowed beyond your degree plan.

If you currently have dual status, you should work with your academic advisor to review your overall degree plan and review your standing as it relates to excessive hours.

Yes.  Elective courses will count toward your excessive hours limit. 

If you have not selected a major, you are considered by State law to have degree requirements of 120 hours.

A&M-Corpus Christi will contact you if you are approaching or have reached your excessive hours limit. Each semester the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board sends reports to all Texas public institutions of higher education that show which currently enrolled students are nearing or have gone over their excessive hours limit.

If you have questions about the status of your excessive hours limit, please contact your academic advisor.

Yes.  The excessive hour fee will appear on your billing for tuition and fees.

Yes.  The charges are considered an education expense and are included as part of tuition and fees.  Students must have sufficient funding to cover the total cost of tuition and fees for the amount charged for excessive hours to be paid by financial aid.  

The change in catalog year will allow for change in required hours.  The new catalog year will be reflected in your student record.


If you have questions about the status of your excessive hours limit, please contact your academic advisor.

Yes. Internship courses that are for credit are included in the excessive hours limit.  

If a graduate course is used as a substitution for a required undergraduate course on your degree plan, it would count toward the excessive hours limit.  

If your academic credits were earned from a Texas institution of higher education, the credits would be included in the excessive hours limit.

Yes. There are several specific situations where credit hours will not be counted:

  • If you are enrolled through the Texas Fresh Start program (Section 51.931 of the Texas Education Code) and have earned credit hours 10 or more years before the date you enrolled under Fresh Start.  
  • Hours earned by you before graduating from high school and used to satisfy high school graduation requirements.  
  • Hours awarded to you from a previously awarded baccalaureate degree if you are now enrolled in post-baccalaureate (PB) hours.  
  • Hours earned as credit-by-exam (or other processes by which credit is earned without the student being charged tuition).
  • Hours earned in remedial education courses, technical education, or workforce education courses funded according to contact hours, or other courses that do not count toward a degree program at the institution where they were taken.
    Please be aware, however, that some courses, such as a course repeated due to your earning a grade which is insufficient to meet program requirements, can count toward the excessive hours limit. To clarify your specific situation, please contact an academic advisor.
  • Hours you earned at private or out-of-state institutions.

No.  Please note that your veterans benefits will not cover your excessive hours fee. For more information, please contact the Office of Veterans Affairs.

Yes. Appeals will be granted under limited circumstances. Please note the appeal deadlines as they are enforced. Please click here to learn more about the appeals process and deadlines.

Further information can be found at the following contact sites:

Your academic advisor:

Your academic catalog:

The Texas State Education Code (Chapters 54.014 and 61.0595):